Thursday 28 November 2013

Personal Project Tuen Voeten


Teun Voeten is an award winning war photographer and author based in New York and Brussels. He studied cultural anthropology and covered the last 22 years the conflicts in Bosnia, Rwanda, Colombia, Afghanistan, Liberia, Iraq and Libya for publications such as Vanity Fair, National Geographic, Newsweek and organizations as the UNHCR and ICRC. He wrote books on the underground homeless in New York, the war in Sierra Leone and just published a photo book on the drug violence in Mexico. Voeten also organizes exhibitions, gives workshops and is a regular lecturer at institutions such as NYU, Cambridge UK, RUL and Tufts.

I found Tuen Voetens work through looking at documentary photography and was a photographer that reminded me a lot of Guy Tillim by focusing on rundown areas and war around the world. I really love the work of Tuen Voetens work and Guy Tillims work. I really like the emotion and sadness shown throughout these photos and how Voeten has documented the crime and violence even just in a few photographs. In the top photograph I really love the composition because of how we can see two young looking ladies and how one is in the foreground focused on, and one slightly blurred out of focus in the background. I also really like how the guns they are holding are both pointing up and the lady in the background is doing the exact same pose. Them both being in this area both kneeling the same could be links with military and they could have been put here to protect their property or family. I feel that these are the types of photographs I would like to aim for in my personal project to document crime, gangs, killers, suicide etc. 









No comments:

Post a Comment