Thursday 20 June 2013

Julie Cockburn: Handmade Experiments


These are my three Julie Cockburn inspired handmade experiments. For these three experiments I used vintage photographs of the internet and then used fine liner, red board marker and a scalpel to try to create my own work in the style of Julie Cockburn. I first started of with creating the image on the right by printing of three of the vintage 60's portrait of the man and used a scalpel to cut long rounded rectangular shapes out of two of the printed photographs and then stuck the pieces onto the photo in a different order. I chose this technique because I really like how it makes the face of the person almost like a puzzle because of how your brain tries to put the photo back together by shuffling the pieces around in your head to try to see what the photo of the person originally looked like. I feel that I could of improved this experiment by using a much sharper scalpel or scissors to be able to but the paper neater. I then also did an experiment using a red board marker and a photograph of a child. I wanted to try this simple technique that Cockburn uses because I really like how it adds a lot of fun and playfulness too a photograph. Even though I do like this experiment a lot, I feel I could've used a more dull photograph with a person who looks maybe quite sad or unhappy because this would've given a better effect like Cockburn's work using this technique. I then did a third piece using a fine liner because I really liked Cockburn's piece she did called 'Blue Tattoo' (Below: Left). Cockburn used stitching to create hers but instead I used a fine liner. I feel that My 'Blue Tattoo' experiment is one of my better pieces because I feel that it looks the neatest of the three and I really like the detailed different patterns and lines I drew on the photograph. I feel that if I wanted to do more work like Cockburn's I feel that I could experiment more with fine liner and also try to experiment with stitching onto a photograph and maybe make my own vintage photographs.    

These are the three images that I was most inspired by:

No comments:

Post a Comment