Tuesday 16 April 2013

Exam Review

I started following with the theme of city life because I wanted to look more into the idea of urban life in and around the hidden more run down parts of london because I really liked the work of Daido Moriyama. I then chose to look more in-depth into the theme of 'Identity' in the city because I really liked the work of William Klein and also did look into the theme of paparazzi because I really liked the work of Ron Galella. I finally then have chosen to look more into detail and experiment with the identity theme because I felt that this is the theme I could develop the most. Since choosing this theme I have started to look and experiment with hiding peoples identity in and around london using different digital and darkroom techniques. 

When choosing this Identity theme I first chose the Idea because I really liked the work of William Klein and Ron Galella and I wanted to try and take my own photographs like them to capture the emotion on peoples face when they either don't wanted to be photographed or when they don't know they are being photographed. However know that I have developed my Ideas further I have found that I want to do the complete opposite as I want to Hide peoples faces to show how their Identity is Hidden to others in the city. I have tried digital and darkroom experiments such as double exposure, using salt to obscure faces and experimenting on photoshop with different black and white tones to be able to hide faces. 

Best Darkroom Experiments:


Best Digital Experiments:



I feel that double exposure, crash zooming and my experiments I've done to obscure peoples faces have been my best most successful experiments because I feel that I could develop these Ideas much further until I feel that I have reached the maximum potential for these experiments. I feel that my sandwich negatives, collage and my stencil experiments where the unsuccessful techniques that I tried because I feel that they didn't work with my 'Identity' theme and that I felt that I couldn't push and develop them much further. I want to experiment much further with black and white photography and also using techniques in the darkroom and digitally such as dodging and burning, vignetting, lens blur and double exposure. When starting the project the two main artists that caught my eye was Daido Moriyama and William Klein. I really liked these two photographers because of how they looked at city life and the black and white photographs they took. I Started going down this city life theme and when looking more at William Kleins photographs I then started to branch of more into the theme of Identity in the city. When looking at Identity and trying many experiments I then started to explore for different artist and techniques I could try. When researching I then found two photographers work I really liked called Arthur Ransome and Francois Marclay.   

I feel now that I have a my identity idea I feel that I need to develop it much more by taken a lot more black and white prints with film and digital and then need to experiment with dodging and burning, double exposure, vignetting and lens blur to try and get much more professional prints. I also need to focus more on my options and start to develop ideas on how `i want to Present my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment