Tuesday 11 June 2013

Exhibition review: Coulsdon College Visual Arts Exhibition

The A2 classes coursework and exam pieces have just been finished displayed and are being exhibited in three rooms in the collage. The visual arts exhibition consist of the four creative art subjects; Graphic Design, Photography, Textiles and Fine art. When looking around the exhibition I really liked the range and different styles of work that people had created. I feel that looking at all of the A2 students work it has really inspired me and shown me how much work and effort I need to dedicate and put in into the A2 year ahead of me. The exhibition also showed me the wide range of experiments I can try in the A2 year.   

There was a lot of pieces of artwork from each subject that I really liked in the exhibition but I feel that if I had to pick my favourite piece from all the artwork I feel that this is one of my favourites (below). This is a Fine art exam piece by a student called Melissa Wear. She also had three other painted portrait pieces in the same style as this painting. I like this one best from the four she had submitted because of how she uses the plastic sheet in front of another canvas that she had painted on. I really like the use of the two layers and how she has painted on the glass with the different coloured brush strokes style technique which she has also used in her other portraits. 


When looking around the photo exhibition I really like the range of different techniques used by students. Some techniques used by the A2 students have inspired me to test and experiment with these techniques in my A2 year. I especially liked this technique of painting a photograph onto stones using liquid emulsion used by a student and feel that I will be defiantly experimenting with this in my A2 year. Also apart from looking at peoples final pieces I really liked looking at their sketchbooks that they have done to show their development throughout different units because it shows the work load and effort I should be putting in to my A2 year and how I can improve from AS to be able to create really good final pieces and sketchbooks to get higher grades for my work.     


1 comment:

  1. I think this is your strongest start to a unit Ben, well done and keep it up. You can now afford the time to go back and re-read your posts and improve if you need to. Lin Osborn is the weakest, as you do repeat the same point often and I can see you have struggled to expand. Look back at the help sheets to see what else you could write, rather than over reliance on the same point or observation.

    The rest of the posts do have some good points, they could do with proof reading and correcting some typos.

    I love the Lin Osborn inspired piece, are the flowers your pictures? if so then tell me so. And tell me how you found the process, was it successful, compared to Osborns?

    However, these are all minor points and once again well done.

    ReplyDelete