Tuesday 4 June 2013

Documentary Photography: Lin Osborn



Lin Osborn was awarded a scholarship to Harrow School of Art and went on to study at Surrey Institute of Art and Design, graduating in 2001 with a BA Hons in Fine Art. Then attending Winchester School of Art where she became increasingly interested in photography, and has since been awarded an Associateship by the Royal Photographic Society.



Lin Osborn uses this tile composition effect and is a style that she uses for all her pieces of artwork. However Osborn uses this tile composition differently for her pieces of work, for some pieces of work she will focus on using the colours in the photographs for her composition of the tiles just like her most well known piece called rainbow and in others will focus on just using different photographs of an object, in a specific place or a certain time of year. 



I really like this tile effect because even though Osborn takes a lot of photographs, they are very detailed close up photographs. I feel that if these photographs were much further away photographs, like landscapes I feel that this technique wouldn't work as well because the smaller the photographs are the less your eyes get drawn to them and the less your eyes focus on them. I also feel that the use of a lot of photographs works well  for Osborn's work because not only does it give a style to her work it also makes her work better because I feel that If these photographs were by themselves I think they wouldn't be good enough and look as intriguing and as creative as her work now. I have also found from looking at Osborn's work and when doing analysis's I feel that when photographers use less photographs or even one by itself  you start to look more in to detail and how the photographer or artist has created the photograph using light and exposure etc. However for Osborn's work you look more at the overall piece and then look a little bit more into detail but can only look so far to see colours, outlines and maybe some text or significant objects or parts or buildings because of the size or quality of the photographs. This is also said in her statement on her website: "By repeating a series of images the artist is able to change the original isolated context. ‘En masse' the images have a power and beauty

This photo is one her most well known pieces of work costing £875 for the full scale piece (70x100cm) or £50 for a (40x50cm) scale print. This piece of artwork consists of close up detailed photographs of different coloured packaging and foods focusing on text, images on packaging and logos
Lin Osborn also has many other pieces of artwork that you can by and look at on her website. Osborn has many different variety of photographs in different countries, of different objects, different packaging and also of nature throughout different seasons.


When looking through Lin Osborn's portfolio on her website I found that she took lots of photographs of nature and I was inspired by this and wanted to take the same approach to create my inspired work around the theme of nature. When taking my photographs I found that in my garden I had a variety of different coloured flowers. So after taking a bunch of different photographs I then tried to create the same style just like Lin Osborn's other piece called rainbow. I also used photo filters and adjusted the colour balance on the photographs to bring out the bright flower colours. Overall I really like my piece and had fun creating it and feel that I will possibly use this tile effect in future projects when presenting my work. 






No comments:

Post a Comment