Tuesday 30 April 2013

Evaluation

IDEAS & CONCEPTS
I first started to look at city life because I really liked the work of Daido Moriyama and William Klein and wanted to explore the theme of city life more. When trying a lot of experiments in the darkroom and also researching experiments I could do digitally I found that many of my double exposure prints were coming out really well. I then started to research any digital photographers that used blur to obscured people or places and found an artist named Arthur Ransome. I really like his work and whilst researching I also found an artist called Francois Marclay who inspired me a lot to look more into darkroom and digital experiment on how to obscure faces to show how identity is hidden in the city. In the darkroom I tried experiments like 'handmade negatives' and 'dodging and burning'. I also tried experiments like using photoshop, fine liner and scratching of parts of the darkroom prints to try and obscured people in the images to reflect the theme of covert and obscured.

PHOTOGRAPHER INSPIRATION
Throughout the unit I looked at many different photographers such as: William Klein, Daido Moriyama, Ron Galella, Sigmar Polke, Rankin, Juergen Teller, Arthur Ransome and Francois Marclay. William Klein was a big inspiration during the project as my crash zooming experiments I took when on the Juergen teller trip inspired me to focus on how to obscure people in groups and/or their faces. When I edited these crash zooming photos was when I had the idea to obscured faces and also to experiment with black and white digital photographs. Arthur Ransome and Francois Marclay were the biggest inspirations in my experimentation development because of how they showed how peoples identity is hidden in the city which was what I wanted to show as well through different techniques and experiments.

EXPERIMENTATION & DEVELOPMENT: 
During the exam I was trying as many different experiment to try and obscure peoples bodies and faces and to try and get the best prints. I used techniques and materials such as fine liner, scissors to scratch out negative space, Dodging and burning, darkroom vignetting and also digital editing and manipulation. For my final pieces I tried to use as many of these different techniques and experiments that I could and that I liked. I really liked the merge of the use of vignetting, fine liner and scratching the image with scissors because it really made you focus on the person in the images and thing about the type of person the could be under the black fine liner ink. I felt that dodging and burning would play a big part in my experiments but after trying a couple of experiments with the technique I just wasn't liking the result.     

CONCLUSION: I really did enjoy the project because I got to explore and try many different darkroom techniques and also got to explore the use of black and white digital photography. I found the exam theme fun and enjoyable but found it very hard to find inspiration because I couldn't find many artist and photographers that have explored this theme that I liked. However when finding artist and photographers to follow I found many experiments and techniques I could try which I enjoyed a lot.
I feel that I will be pleased with my final outcome but feel that I could have improved It more if I had managed my time much more efficiently because I even though I tried experiments I didn't leave enough time to fully develop and perfect my prints.  

No comments:

Post a Comment