Tuesday 5 February 2013

Evaluation



1. Write an explanation of your brief - what did you have to do? How did you come up with the ideas for this project?

For this project the brief was to look at the theme of light and how it is used in different styles of photography. E.g. Use in portraits using different lighting such as professional studio lights or natural light etc. I first had to look at a range of different themes and photographers based around the main theme of light. I also tried many experiments in the styles of different light photographers to see if I liked any and if they were successful enough to expand and develop the idea. Once looking at a range of different photographers and trying out a lot of experiments with light such as portraits and light paintings, I then had to choose a pathway in which I wanted to develop. I chose Architecture and portraits. I came up with my ideas by then creating mind maps and mood boards.  


2. Write about the creative 'journey' of the project - how did the project and ideas evolve from start to finish through experimentation and research?

I first started of looking at a bunch of different photographers and analysing there work and ways in which they use light. I then tried lots of different experiments with light such and digital light paintings, experiments with film (still life and portraits), light experiments in photoshop (layer blending and photo filters) etc. I then chose the pathway of architecture and portraits. Firstly I was stuck, because I had many ideas but some were not possible at the time, I then started to look at a well known artist called JR. I started to research his work because he blends the two themes of architecture and portraits that  I chose for my pathway. I then started to brainstorm and experiment in photoshop. I had an idea that I could use photoshop to overlay my images onto one another so that the portrait photograph would look like it was actually stuck onto the building in real life and that the whole photograph would look like one and not just two separate photos. This was my first quick JR experiment: 




Once I had this idea I then wanted to develop it further and wanted to add another element of light into the idea. I then started to look at more of JR's work and more light photographers. I then found a project of JR's called 'The Wrinkles Of The City'. In some of the photographs from this project JR also used light motion blur from traffic in the bottom of his photographs. E.g: 


I really liked this and wanted to experiment with motion blur and try to blend it in with my idea of layer blending. I then started to take some of my own motion blur images and also then looked at a light photographer called Erik Kerstenbeck. This was an artist that I looked at in the everyday project but didn't develop my idea any further. I really liked Erik Kerstenbeck's motion blur work and he really inspired me for when looking at motion blur. Examples of his work: 


After experimenting a lot with motion blur in three different locations and also taking some portrait photographs I then picked out my best photographs and started to experiment a lot with lots of different tools and layer blending options in photoshop to try and get the most realistic look from my outcomes. I ended up using the perspective and warp tool and using hard light and overlay layer options to get the best effect in photoshop. 
  

3. Who inspired your final outcomes? - You MUST talk about who has inspired your work - include images and links where possible. 

JR and Erik Kerstenbeck are the two main artist that really inspired me in my creative journey to help me create my final outcomes. Jr's 'The Wrinkles of the City' project first inspired me to take my own portrait and architectural photographs and then use layer blending techniques on photoshop to try and make the two photographs look like one. I then also saw a photograph of JR's work with with a nice light motion blur from a car at the bottom of the image. This inspired me to look more into motion blur as it really linked well with light project. When looking at motion blur photographers Erik Kerstenbeck really inspired me and I really liked his work.   

4. What do you think you have done well? What has worked? Are you happy with your final outcomes?

I really feel that my layer blending techniques I used to layer my portraits onto my architectural motion blur photographs worked really well as I developed my ideas a lot using different tools like perspective and warp in photoshop.


5. What do you think you could have improved in your final outcome? - you need to talk about something, nobody is perfect!

I feel that I could've visited lots more locations with more variety of architecture if I had more time because I only used two locations in my final outcomes. I also feel that even though I was happy with my portraits i feel that i could of set up a photo shoot sand taken these much more professionally.

6. Conclusion - overall how did you find the project? What techniques would you like to develop further in the future?


I found this project really exiting as I got to develop my digital photography skills a lot and I would like to develop my skills more in digital photography. I really enjoyed developing my skills and understandings in the subject of motion blur and feel that I am going to experiment more with motion blur and try to involve it more into some of my digital photographs. I also really enjoyed experimenting with light painting and feel that I am going to also experiment more with this as I found it really fun and fascinating.




No comments:

Post a Comment